HTX crypto exchange has been hacked, but claims to know the identity of the attacker.
Huobi Global exchange was hacked on Sept. 24, according to a report from blockchain analytics platform Cyvers. A total of $7.9 million of crypto has been drained in the attack. Huobi is also known as “HTX,” as it recently rebranded.
A known Huobi hot wallet posted a message to the attacker in Chinese. According to the message, the exchange knows the identity of the attacker and has offered to let them keep 5% of the drained funds as a “white-hat bonus,” but only if the attacker returns the remaining 95%.
Red CodeYesterday, our ML-powered system detected a suspicious transaction involving @HuobiGlobal and @HTX_Global.
Despite our attempts to reach out, we received no response. An EOA received 5K $ETH $7.9M from @HuobiGlobal‘s hot wallet.
This morning, we spotted… pic.twitter.com/3oqHhAVi8P
— Cyvers Alerts (@CyversAlerts) September 25, 2023
On September 24 at 10 a.m. UTC, the suspected Huobi hot wallet 0x2Abc22eb9A09EbBE7b41737CCde147F586EfeB6A sent 4,999 Ether (ETH), worth approximately $7.9 million, to an address which had no previous history. The following morning, a separate wallet belonging to Huobi sent a message to the attacker in Chinese. It stated (according to a Google translation):
We have confirmed your true identity. Please return funds to 0x18709E89BD403F470088aBDAcEbE86CC60dda12e. We will provide you with a 5% white hat bonus. This offer is valid for 7 days and ends on October 2, 2023. If you do not return the funds by the deadline, we will request judicial intervention.
Cyvers reported the attack on Sept. 25. The wallet that sent the message is identified as a Huobi hot wallet by blockchain analytics platform Arkham Intelligence.
This is a developing story, and further information will be added as it becomes available.